Today's Newspaper Headlines:

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Billy Wagner does not envision Big Role if he returns this season


When Billy Wagner came to the Mets before the 2006 season, he was viewed as the missing link to the Mets getting over the hump and making the playoffs. At that time he was considered one of the best closers in baseball, and he pitched great in the first half during both the '07 and '08 seasons in making the All Star team both years.

Then he suffered an injury to his arm and underwent Tommy John surgery on September 10th. Instead of getting paid $11 million to close out games, Wagner could be asked to pitch in a middle relief role if and when he returns.

NY Post writer Mark Hale sat down with the injured southpaw, and in his article, Wagner said how he does not figure to fill a major role when he returns.
.
On the players who have weathered the injury bug: "I'd hate to be there. I really would," he said. "That's a tough situation in which you're playing a lot of guys not there."
.
Timetable for return: "I'm not killing myself to get back for them," he said. "I want to get back because [of] Fred Wilpon and that's it."
.
On his role: "No. Not at all. I can't see it. I think that would be foolhardy to even insinuate something like that," he said. "I think what I would be is a Brian Stokes- type player. I might pitch once a week. I can't see 'em doing that."
.
(Photo Courtesy of myself, David Suntup)

No comments:

Post a Comment

This site is not affiliated with any professional new york team or league. Questions or comments? Send quires to:

Matt Cohen: blog creator, Yankees, Giants, Knicks beat - maevcohen@gmail.com
David Suntup: senior writer, Mets, Jets, and Nets beat - slamdunk115@aol.com.
Eric Silverman: senior writer, hockey beat - msgrules2@juno.com
 
votechdirect.com vocation training schools
accounting degree